Introduction to Project of Precast Parabolic Channels
- Canal irrigation system of Pakistan represents one of the largest system.
- Discrepancy feature is the conveyance losses (35 to 50%)
- Irrigation system of KPK (Province of Pakistan) is facing severe Operational problems including water scarcity, water logging, and salinity.
- Reason was due to the traditional brick lining.
Steps to design Precast Parabolic Channels
The following steps are involved in the design of our selected water channel.
- Collection of field data.
- Using design software
- Obtaining the final design parameters
- Site selected was Syphon (Badabher, Peshawar, Pakistan)
- Selected channel was off taking from Warsak canal at RD 96+000 feet
- Name of channel Badabher Akkundi BalaKhel
- CCA 2000 Gareb (Full channel)
- Selected watercourse was earthen
- Wheat and maize were the prime crops of the area
Collection of field data
- Common survey equipments
- Measurement of Full supply level of the channel (FSL)
- Measurement of Bed level of channel
- Measurement of Full Supply Level at crest
- Measurement of Crest level of channel
- Measurement of FSL at RD 0+00
- Measurement of Bed level at 0+00
In addition to above following data was collected at each 30 meter interval of channel. FSL of channel
- Bed level of channel
- Left bank (L/B) and Right bank (R/B) of channel
- Highest field elevation
- RD's of Nuccas recorded along the channel.
Using Design Software
- Super Calc 5
- DOS version
- Renowned software for designing channels
- Bed reduced level
- Discharge (Q)
- Super Calc provides excellent graphical presentation
- MS Excel spreadsheet used for both Brick lining and PCPS
- PCPL much cheaper than brick lining
- 9 drops provided
Let us know in the comments what you think about the concepts in this article!