Construction Company Team Functions
- Project managers (PM)
- Material expediters
Owner’s Project Team
- Size of the owner’s project team will depend on the size and complexity of the project – small project (A/E)
- Large highway project
- Resident engineer
- Quality assurance technicians
Managing Critical Activities
- Contracts are broken down into activities for purposes of scheduling, estimating, progress control, and cost control. Large projects can have several hundred activities, or more!
- Trick is to know which activities are critical
- Critical activities are those that could impact the cost of the work by at least one half of one percent of the bid price:
- For example, on a $1,000,000 project, any activity with a potential for cost over-run or under-run of $5,000 or more is by definition a critical activity.
Pareto’s 80-20 rule
- 20% of the activities are critical and should be managed carefully
- The other 80% will average out…
Let us know in the comments what you think about the concepts in this article!